retrobrad
Trouble with eBay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have You Had a Bad Experience with eBay ?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

ozzipete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Trouble with eBay Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with buying or selling on eBay ?
I had been dealing with one seller from America for some time with no problem then I thought Bulk Ordering is the way to go so I purchased nearly $1,000 AU (ouch !!) of stuff off him 8 weeks later it still hasnt shown up and no replies to emails .. Pay Pal dispute has been opened
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with eBay Reply with quote

ozzipete wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with buying or selling on eBay ?
I had been dealing with one seller from America for some time with no problem then I thought Bulk Ordering is the way to go so I purchased nearly $1,000 AU (ouch !!) of stuff off him 8 weeks later it still hasnt shown up and no replies to emails .. Pay Pal dispute has been opened

yep, ive had the same sort of thing (but not $1,000 worth!)

ive bought a mobile phone that i didnt receive, a laptop and a few others - very annoying!!

ive also bought things that dont work (even though they said they did aargh!)

and ebay doesnt do anything about it (well not for me anyway...)
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,Nope,Nope i`ve never had any trouble with ebay (yet!!!) i`ve never spent the sort of money like you ozziepete on ebay. I guess because where possible i always use people with 100% positive feedback.

The thing that does annoy me about ebay though is when you win an item the seller never bothers to contact you,same when they despatch your item to, i don`t know if ebay policy has changed but when i used ebay 6 years ago i was always contacted and always let know when the item was dispatched.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with you Misha the contact and personal touch has gone altogether a lot of sellers only care until the money is deposited then they couldnt give a hoot..but on the upside... Razz WOOT WOOT Razz Pay Pal just refunded my money
Its kinda weird because this guy is a 5 figure feedback seller with 99.8 positive and I have bought off him for ages but his reply to me was .. ah well I should have had the parcel recorded with a tracking number .. such is life
the order was just made up of spare bits and pieces for Nintendos Confused
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzipete wrote:
I agree totally with you Misha the contact and personal touch has gone altogether a lot of sellers only care until the money is deposited then they couldnt give a hoot..but on the upside... Razz WOOT WOOT Razz Pay Pal just refunded my money
Its kinda weird because this guy is a 5 figure feedback seller with 99.8 positive and I have bought off him for ages but his reply to me was .. ah well I should have had the parcel recorded with a tracking number .. such is life
the order was just made up of spare bits and pieces for Nintendos Confused

It's funny like that. you learn to trust the ebay seller rating system and then something like this happens? i definately think ebay could and should do something more to protect buyers.

And another thing, ive listed modified NES consoles (and i know ozzipete has also) and within a couple of hours, ebay has withdrawn them because it's apparently not allowed.

and then i search ebay through the laptops section and there will be 10 brand new laptops in a row with a stock standard google image and the seller has 0 feedback and they have just registered with ebay that very day! now why dont they imediately pick up on these people?
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know what you mean brad,i know of two people that have thought they bought cheap second hand laptops on ebay only to find out that the laptop was never forsale it was just a scam to get you to buy info on how to pick up cheap laptops,like from police auctions.

I honestly think that ebay don`t care anymore they are only interested in making money out of sellers,perfect example.....not sure if anyone has heard this story before but a guy wanted to buy an Xbox before they came out in the UK found one i think in America,handed over the cash like us good buyers do only to recieve an Xbox box,not sure if there was a typo in the auction but imagine paying $250 for a box when the poor guy wanted a Xbox.

Ozziepete & Brad all i can say is thank god for paypal,at least your protected that way Very Happy

Oh i almost forgot going back to your subject brad....if you can`t sell moded consoles on ebay then how come they are quite happy to let people sell chipped consoles (what`s that if it`s not a mod!!!) mind you i`ve seen people openly admitting to buyers and ebay that the games they are selling are copies,only a few days ago someone on ebay was selling 87 games for the Amiga and most of them were copies and that`s ok....come on ebay wake up.
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Smile to myself**
Yep I remember those incidents of having our listings removed Brad
As Misha said why can people sell "backup" games or buy a plain piece of white A4 paper and get a free copied DVD
and yet an old NES console with the lockout removed gets removed with the gusto of a terrorist raid.. its a sad state of affairs and really overall some of the other images you see on eBay are nothing short of vulgar if not * but ... they still stay there
maybe its a good old case of who puts the most money in the ebay kitty.. Crying or Very sad
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t get me wrong i like ebay,i`ve bought alot of retro games and consoles from there. I feel sorry for anyone who has a problem with a seller because it just shouldn`t happen,people or certain people have latched onto the idea that ebay can be used to make easy money and unfortunately people get ripped off,i don`t know about anyone else but you have a problem and try to get hold of ebay to report the seller,one incident i had was i thought i`d been ripped off because it was taking ages to get the item i purchased even after i contacted the seller,what made it worse was i had no contact from the seller at all,i tried 2 or 3 times to contact ebay but for some reason my mail never got to them Crying or Very sad

Maybe what you guys should do if you want to sell a moded console is not to tell the buyer at the auction but rather inform the potential buyer of that fact that it`s moded when they e-mail you with a question,can`t see it being a problem because at the end of the day as long as the item works that`s all that will matter to most.

At the moment i`m hunting for a megacd for my megadrive on ebay but there are none available Crying or Very sad not even any of the shops on ebay has one so i`m going to put a shout out for one in the forum Very Happy
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, dont even get me started with the * on ebay!

you see a ton of people selling FREE INTERNET TV and stuff like that with * as the selling point, actually i remember one listing where someone was selling a pack of batteries and the photo was over a pretty much nude girl holding the batteries!
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrobrad wrote:
Oh yeah, dont even get me started with the * on ebay!

you see a ton of people selling FREE INTERNET TV and stuff like that with * as the selling point, actually i remember one listing where someone was selling a pack of batteries and the photo was over a pretty much nude girl holding the batteries!

On that topic my eldest daughter 19 yo .. (thank goodness) did a ebay search for "free postage" in the results was some obscure see through undies but the thing was the models were no more than 10 or so old kids .. I reported the item to ebay but it was never taken down yet as you say Brad you remove the lockout on an old NES and you are treated like a criminal where is the justice in that ????? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Its Bloody insane but the bigger ebay gets the more control they have over everything I got sent a email recently asking to apply for a eBay master card if you pay your ebay fees apparently with this card you get a percentage off and so on ... How many more pies do ebay have to get their fingers in ??
Ok sorry .. I am finished now LOL Embarassed Phew !!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Ebay Reply with quote

* sells,this is a sad fact of life,personally I dont agree with it,but * as a selling point is being used all the time,even on a subconcious level.

OZZIEPETE dont feel too bad about what happened to you,beaurocratic bulldust has been around for a long time and its hard to beat it,they feather their own nests and look after their own,and I know I could have gone into more detail but I am sure you uderstand what Im refering to.
Personally I have received Moneys thru Ebay and other electronic ways of payment,but I will never use it myself to pay for anything.

It far too easy to hack into someone elses PC whilst they are on the Net and retreive their infos for later misuse. Also if you use paypal and sell somrthing,2 months later the seller alleged that you havent paid,theres a heap of shit that can go down and in the end,end up costing you... Twisted Evil

Be careful my friend,the pitfalls are many,even if you havent experienced any,on the other hand if its working fine for you,then theres no reason why you shouldnt continue trading in this manner. Everyone to their own

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNES-Super-Nintendo-Console-Modified-Region-Free-60hz_W0QQitemZ110154613840QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey, the above link is for anyone who has had problems with ebay regarding modded consoles,it would seem they have different rules depending on the country you live in,WHY? god only knows the answer to that but to me ebay should have the same rules regarding this matter no matter what country you live in.

What action should be taken about this? i don`t know but maybe a few e-mails dropped ebays way to remind them of their own policy.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, its crazy.

i have only once put on an unlocked NES console and i couldnt believe how fast ebay took it off!

i guess things look a bit better over in the UK Very Happy
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this is exactly what I am on about one rule for us one rule for others I listed a console very similar to this and it wasnt even up for 2 days

Item number 300136997240

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell and buy alot on ebay and the main trouble i have is these newbies not paying for what they bid on it is a pain having to go through disputes and relist the item. They wreck ebay for the rest of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: