retrobrad
What is the best firewall to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: What is the best firewall to use? Reply with quote

which firewall do you all recommend as the best to use?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: What is the best firewall to use Reply with quote

Cant really tell you the best one as I only recently started looking at the different firewall applications that are available. I havent used a firewall because the Anti-Virus softwares I do use are doing a good job at protecting my PC.

Avast and Spybot have both informed me of any outside source intrusions as they are taking place at which point I kill my satelite decoder(same as unplugging your modem)
It also gives me their PC address, or the ISPs that they hacked into.

If you are running a server though and are expecting a lot of thru traffic then it would be tottally different and any extra help in protecting your PC should be explored, as theres no such thing as too much protection Smile

Smile tomz Smile
ozzipete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mcafee or tiny firewall are supposed to be good
try and get corperate solutions a lot more controll over whats going on
dont just go for a home firewall set up
else one day somebody will hack you right up the .... before you know it
mixojoe
expert
expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use simply the Windows XP native firewall. But I also use a free combination of Spybot and AVG. I have not had any issues for a very long time now. Then again I rarely look at * sites lol
ozzipete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixojoe wrote:
I use simply the Windows XP native firewall. But I also use a free combination of Spybot and AVG. I have not had any issues for a very long time now. Then again I rarely look at * sites lol

Or even run a ecommerce or ebay business Exclamation
I have had ebay users actually try and send me email trojans and key loggers so dont be fooled into thinking its just * sites where you risk hacking
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@*** astro_boy*** would be hard to say which is the best to use but i use Black Ice Defender,nice firewall! best thing for you to do is try some out and see what suits you best.
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: What is the best firewall to use Reply with quote

OZZIPETE wrote=
Quote:
I have had ebay users actually try and send me trojans and keyloggers so dont be fooled into thinking its just * sites where you risk hacking

My group TIDE recently made a nice MP3 tune in a JPG that could be played and displayed in Winamp, so if we can hide a tune in a JPG then how easy is it to place a trojan in just about any file.

And if you miss running your anti-virus gear you could loose your passwords to many applications e.g.Email/ Bank Pin /credit card etc ouch

@-Misha- I have a cracked version of Black Ice and its pretty efficient! 1 of my PCs is 100% legit,the one Im using now,and the other is 100% illegal,from the O/S onwards,just an ongoing experiment to see how clever MS are. Razz

When I run system no2 I keep an eye on my Net Meter as it shows MS scanning my HD whenever I logon to one of their sites. Of coz they cant accuse me of pirated software use as this would expose their own missdeeds, of intruding on my privacy and if they were ever silly enough to do such a thing then they would face a heap of court actions against them, Ahhh the age of LITIGATION has its advantages Laughing

***AstroBoy*** - Steven! Windows firewall is useless, its not worth using in fact the only reason possible I can think of having it activated is to stop the usual pop-up messages from appearing. Wink

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tomz very risky mate!! you warned astro_boy about hiding an MP3 in a JPG but imagine how much dodgy code is in cracked versions of software.

BlackICE is good but how do you know that it`s telling you everything is ok and it hasn`t had a backdoor programmed into it by the cracker? or maybe a trojan installed in your system.

Microsoft always do that when your on any of their sites,it`s trying to authenticate your version of windows to make sure you`ve not got a copied or cracked version....i`ll hold my hands up mate i`ve used and still use cracked software but it makes you wonder just how much long term damage we could be doing to our systems by doing so and really who is watching who!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: