retrobrad
Failure rate of new and old consoles...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Failure rate of new and old consoles... Reply with quote

I ave heard that the new consoles like xbox360 and playstation3 have a pretty high failure rate.

I cant remember retro consoles having soo many problems with reliability.

does anyone know statistics? i.e failure rate percentages of new / old consoles?

and if these consoles do keep failing, shouldnt they not release them untill they actually work?
ozzipete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the XBox 360s had an inherant problem that caused MS to extend the warranty in their words "due to a unacceptable number of Hardware failures"
In my own personal experience I see a hell of a lot of consoles and the newer ones are prone to more complex issues I suppose that goes without saying as technology increases so does the fault factor. The old systems are worth fixing the newer ones unfortunately have become a disposable item
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Failure rate of new and old consoles Reply with quote

PETE you hit the nail right on the head mate! The old gear is certainly a lot more reliable than the new ''throw away technology'' Crying or Very sad

CEST LA VIE ? Such is life........ Crying or Very sad My Playstation 1 and my Sega Master system are both doing just fine though, and as for my Commodores ,well they are just too good for words Laughing

Smile tomz Smile
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of agree with you guys! having said that i`ve had my xbox since the day they were first released here in the UK and it`s still going strong. The only problem the xbox had was the power supplys had to be changed due to some overheating and causing fire damage.

I`ve not moved onto the XBOX 360 but have heard there are alot of problems with it,it`s like most things though TV`s,HiFi`s and most things electrical don`t last as long as they used to because we live in this throw away and replace world,and that has to do with the companies that make these products....if i make a tv to last approx 10 years then who is going to buy a new one? yet when i was a kid a tv would last for 10 - 15 years.

I wonder if part of the problems are because these items are made and assembled in sterile enviroments,and yet our homes are not. who knows?
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playstation seems to be ok haven't heard many bad stories but xbox you hear of all the time failing. then again what do you expect from the big M.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha wrote:
The only problem the xbox had was the power supplys had to be changed due to some overheating and causing fire damage.

I think that would be a good thing to know before you buy a console = )
***astro_boy***
expert
expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will probably brine xbox vista next watch that thing blow up HE HE HE
ozzipete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrobrad wrote:
Misha wrote:
The only problem the xbox had was the power supplys had to be changed due to some overheating and causing fire damage.

I think that would be a good thing to know before you buy a console = )

The XBox 360s had a prob with overheating too.. they had problems with the GPU and the thermal paste used there is a work around for it but it is a pain in the .. to do
Some more concientious little fellows within the community do it with zest but unless its a mates rates job I cant be bothered
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day it`s no different to Microsoft`s operating systems, often buggy and rushed out without being fully tested. Consoles these days are exactly the same,the rush to get a new system out is to high to meet release dates,the attitude these days is we can always fix the problem later after we`ve sold a few million.

I agree brad but to be honest if you knew that there was a major fault like with the XBOX 360 would you buy it? i guess not or at least untill the company had fixed the problem first....that doesn`t sell consoles though so therefore they keep problems with their technology out of the public domain at least untill enough units have been sold. Confused
ozzipete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally Agree with you Misha its a sad state of affairs but at the end of the day the rich get richer without consideration for others Idea
Misha
intermediate
intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

It`s been like that since time began and will continue to be like it after all of us have parted this little world,i don`t agree with the way companies abuse the console market and hoodwink us into buying the latest,greatest buggy system but we are but a few,the likes of Sony,Microsoft & Nintendo have money & power and it`s because of that they managed to kill off all other competition,sad really when you think in it`s hayday there were several companies all pushing consoles/handhelds in our faces to buy them now just 3. Sad
slantedmatt
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have experienced this, i got a 360 about 6 months after its release and it failed, my brother got one not long after me and it packed it in also. its a shame this happens these days. i still have my sms from new and haven't had any problems with it. surely it can't be that hard to make sure your product is of a good quality and be proud to sell it to consumers.
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it seems like the game manufacturers are trying to release something that shouldnt be released just yet. Nintendo has the right idea with the Wii, maybe the console isnt the fastest with the most amazing graphics, but IT WORKS! and it sells for a reasonable price.

whereas microsoft and sony have released something that might be amazing, but they havent quite figured out all the bugs yet. but they still decide to release it...
grapes of gorf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old computers had faults too. Check out this Wikipedia link to the Commodore PET Killer poke (I think it's funny) If I had a PET I would not have the guts to try it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_poke

I have activated a kind of screensaver of sorts on my C-64. But for a while after I reset the C64 I thought I could see a ghost of the routine still running. It reminded me of the code that run down the screen in the movie 'The Matrix' (maybe I was just spending too much time playing games) You can try the screen saver/bug, just follow the instructions below.

THIS IS A CUT AND PASTE FROM WIKIPEDIA
"Due to a quirk in the C64's BASIC operating system, an Easter egg or screensaver of sorts may be activated by pressing the RUN/STOP and RESTORE keys in unison, then entering POKE781,96:SYS58251 on the subsequently cleared screen"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> The off-topic Lounge All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: