retrobrad
Did anyone have a commodore 64/128?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128? Reply with quote

We used to have one of these but i never did know what you could do in 128 mode???

i tried to load games from the 128 green screen but it never worked?

does anyone know more about the 128 system??
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128 Reply with quote

Yup, still got a few around the place,however I must cinfess I never fully used the 128 to its full capabilities,there was no need to, I had a better interest and that was the 64 side of the machine,though I must admit the C18D has the best keyboard of any Commy machine, thats C64 / Amigas / PCs Smile

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128 Reply with quote

tomz/TIDE wrote:
Yup, still got a few around the place,however I must cinfess I never fully used the 128 to its full capabilities,there was no need to, I had a better interest and that was the 64 side of the machine,though I must admit the C18D has the best keyboard of any Commy machine, thats C64 / Amigas / PCs Smile

Smile tomz Smile

hi mate, is that the one with the seperate keyboard?
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128 Reply with quote

The C128D one of the C128s I have, has a seperate keyboard and the computer has a metal case (not plastic). I also have a stock standard C128 which is like a C64 (only slightly bigger) but to be honest ,to me their only value is that they run in C64 mode.

Unless you are a great fan of CPM(and I would have to ask WHY?) theres not a lot more that the average commy user can get from a C128.Of coz some C128 fans will point out its 80 coloumn features,something that can be achieved on the C64 by software means,the enhanced gfx this is nice but the Amiga had better gfx what Im saying here that Commodore released the C128 at the worst time possible.
Why release the C128 when they released the Amiga a few months later?
Its almost as if they never wanted the C128 to succeed.......... Crying or Very sad

Smile tomz Smile
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a C128 and it works fine but I only use it for display purposes in my "museum". To me, it's an absolutely USELESS machine if you've got a 64. There are a few dedicated 128 games out there (in fact there's one on Aussie Ebay right now) but they are VERY few and far between - about twenty or thirty I think. For a little while I was using the 128 as my 64 just for the novelty value but it took up too much desk space!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel C wrote:
I've got a C128 and it works fine but I only use it for display purposes in my "museum". To me, it's an absolutely USELESS machine if you've got a 64. There are a few dedicated 128 games out there (in fact there's one on Aussie Ebay right now) but they are VERY few and far between - about twenty or thirty I think. For a little while I was using the 128 as my 64 just for the novelty value but it took up too much desk space!

do you know if it is possible to run c64 games in 128 mode????
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128 Reply with quote

For your 1st lesson in ZEN meditation(,in waiting),load that C64 game in 128 mode Laughing

Smile tomz Smile
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i see...
tomz/TIDE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Did anyone have a commodore 64/128 Reply with quote

Brad, if you try it you should end up with a screen full of chars with the cursor blinking somewhere halfway down the screen. Apart from the slightly added gfx theres very little difference,and as i mentioned before things like 80 coloumn mode for text can be implemented on C64 by software E.G TIDEs Protext noter (all versions) this is the editor we use for our groups main mag THE BEERGARDEN.

Of coz if you are heavily into CPM ( Confused ) then there may be a use for it

Smile tomz Smile
Daniel C
novice
novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell is heavily into CPM?! What the hell is CPM?! Sounds deadly boring!
retrobrad
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never really used CPM to be honest, what use is it other than just a high res text mode?
Azryl
beginner
beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, still have a commodore 128D in storage along with a few c64's and monitors and printers and other stuffz

C64 is where I learned to code in assembler. Great fun! Great way to learn really really bad coding practices and not really care about it until you try the same stuff on more modern systems Smile

Switched to assembler on Amiga and had to relearn how to code!
But the 6510 (6502) is still a very capable cpu and very easy to learn assembly language on. C64 was and still is a great machine. Wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon

And the 128D keyboard really is nice... but my Amiga 3000D keyboard is better Razz

Az
Post new topic   Reply to topic    retrobrad Forum Index -> Crazy about Commodore! All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: